Learning Community Goals & Outcomes
Goal 1: To Enhance the Student Learning Enivronment through the Establishment of Learning
- Establish four learning communities for the MD program (longitudinal across all four
- Establish learning communities in GEPH, GEBS, and GEPAS divisions.
- Participating in Learning Communities aided in fostering a sense of community among
- Participating in Learning Communities helped improve peer to peer relationships.
- Participating in Learning Communities encoraged relationship development between facultymentors and students.
- Participating in Learning Communities helped students improve their communication
and leadership skills.
- Transition into medical or graduate school
- Cultural sensitivity
- Understanding exam evaluation
- Study Skills & time management
- Managing stress and preventing burn out
- Thesis preparation
- Careers in medicine, biomedical sciences, and public health
- Communication & leadership skills
- Lifelong learning skills
- Conflict management skills
Goal 2: Training Faculty Mentors
- Assure the success of mentoring programs through appropriate ongoing faculty development
and support ongoing workshops to enhance skills of faculty mentors.
LC Workshop Topics
- Elements of Mentoring
- Working with Small Groups
- Teaching Critical Thinking Skills
- Mentee Assessment
- Communication Skills and Assessment