The Undergraduate Health Sciences Academy (UHSA) at Morehouse School of Medicine was created in response to the growing need for health care professionals in Georgia’s underserved urban and rural communities.
The program recruits current undergraduate students matriculating in the Atlanta University
Center Consortium (AUCC). Through STEM courses and other interventions, the academy’s
goal is to add to Georgia’s healthcare workforce while also diversifying that workforce
in the state and nation.
Objectives are to improve students’ critical thinking and problem-solving skills, enhance standardized test preparation, and provide science-enriched coursework to foster new interest in medicine and health professions.
UHSA Seniors pose during 2023 Gloster Night Celebration.
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria by the application deadline:
- Current enrollment at one of the AUCC institutions: Clark Atlanta University, Morehouse College or Spelman College.
- Completion of one semester of post-secondary education at time of application submission.
Declared a major in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts or Mathematics with an expressed interest in health care or biomedical sciences.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (or its equivalent).
- Have taken at least one science course in first semester.
- Be nominated by a current faculty member.
Educational Guidance and Benefits
UHSA Students, Alumni, and Faculty pose during 2023 Gloster Night Celebration.
Students selected to the Academy receive the following:
- Tuition scholarship
- Graduate and professional test preparation
- Summer externship/shadowing opportunities
- Networking opportunities
- Supportive community of peers
2023 Morehouse College and Spelman College Valedictorians and Salutatorian pose together.
To maintain eligibility in the program, Academy students must:
- Attend all required UHSA meetings, courses and events
- Consent to tracking (e.g., official transcripts and GRE/MCAT/DAT scores)
- Complete at least 2 summer research/shadowing experiences prior to graduation
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA
- Apply to at least 1 Morehouse School of Medicine graduate program during senior year
Applications Now Open!
Application deadline extended to July 31, 2023
Spelman College '22 - BS, Biology/Pre-med Morehouse School of Medicine '23 - MS, Neuroscience.
Morehouse College '20 - BS Biology, Morehouse School of Medicine '24 - MD Candidate
Spelman College '20 - BS, Biochemistry, MSM/University of Washington Medical Scientist Training Program, MD/PhD
Meet the Team
Dr. Rahmelle Thompson
Executive Director and Assistant Dean of Pipeline Initiatives
Dr. Brian Garrett